Monday, April 11, 2011

Scuba Steve

Becoming scuba certified is a high priority on my bucket list. Even though deep ocean water actually scares me pretty bad, I figure there is no better way to overcome that fear than diving right into it (no pun intended). The cost has always deterred me, but when there was a Honolulu Groupon for $99 certification I knew it was meant to be.

This past week I did all of my classes and dives. The homework made it seem so complicated, but it all came together once we started doing it. We had two days in the pool, and then two days in the ocean.

Our first ocean dives were at Electric Beach. This is the one that has hot water being pumped into it from the electric plant across the street. It was so fun! The water was incredibly clear and we got shot up by the hot water. There were so many fish, but unfortunately no dolphins (which this beach is famous for as well).
Our second day of ocean dives was at Magic Island. The water wasn't as clear but we got to explore little underwater canyons and a turtle snuck up right next to me!

Next stop: hopefully running into a whale shark off the coast of Thailand! 6 weeks . . .

3 comments:

{she + him} said...

I dare you to start brushing it's teeth or hang on for a ride...look mom, no hands!!! I'nna go to Electric Beach...

Pennie said...

So cool Rod... I wish I were there! Keep posting your pictures, I love them!

Suzi Q said...

SO COOL! I would be terrified!