Sunday, October 30, 2011

Halvsies?

This weekend we ran in the Provo Halloween Half Marathon. We have tried to be diligent at training and getting ready for this race, but after a long day of work, the last thing we have wanted to do is run.

This race was such a process - we had to drive down to Orem on Friday night to pick up our packets. On Saturday, we woke up at 4:40 am (ya heard) and drove back down to Orem, where we were herded onto busses. The busses took us up Provo Canyon near Sundance and dropped us off. There was a giant tent set up a field, where thousands of us waited 2 hours for the race to start. 

It was freezing cold and not even the 50 porta-potties were enough for this crowd. All of the sudden everyone needed to use the bathroom before the race, and it was about to start. I barely made it through, found Tanya, got my ipod, threw our bag onto a truck, and the race began. We ran with Tanya's dad and little brother Court. I got separated from everyone right away and was not ready to start. Tanya ran with her dad and Court was ahead and smoked us all!

This race is fun because everyone dresses up for Halloween. It was crazy to see some of the costumes that people ran 13 miles in!
Tanya's mom and brother and my mom and sister were there to cheer us at the finish line
I always said I wanted to do a marathon, but after this . . . I'm not so sure (my face courtesy of Jozie Curtis)


The scenery was amazing and it slowly started to warm up as we ran and the sun did its thing. We ran down the canyon, through fall leaves and mountain views, past Bridal Veil Falls, and ended at Riverwoods.


For my work Halloween party on Friday I was Kanye West


On Saturday night (while hobbling around like elderly people on account of the race) we met up with Gentry at our latest obession . . . Sub Zero Ice Cream. Gent is moving back to Oregon and we are already missing her brains out. Tan and Gentry were roommates in Hawaii almost 5 years ago and have been close ever since. They love all things Roxy, music, the beach, and snowboarding. A Hussies reunion trip is already in the works for Tan's Spring break 2012. We love you G-try! 



3 comments:

Grandma Cheryl said...

I am proud of you two for facing the challenge and being winners in the end. I can't think of two people who have more fun together. And yes, it will be a fun memory as the mucles pain fades. Love you guys!

{she + him} said...

Yallllllzzzz!! I can't believe you ran 13.1 miles on account of my BEEEEEEPPPP, costumes included. I have to say Court takes the cake on this one. I'm lucky if I can walk one mile in the course of 8 hours...

I hear ya on the face Rod!!

Gentry said...

LOVES you guys. missing your brains out too.