So the day has finally come . . . we have made the big move from our 450 square foot Lost Creek Apartment to my parents' basement apartment. We don't consider it moving in WITH my parents because it has its own private entrance, its own kitchen, etc. We are excited to go from paying around $800/month to paying what my dad thinks is fair: mow the lawn every week and invest 10% of our income for ourselves. That aint bad!
Some things we will miss about Lost Creek
- Hearing our neighbor (a 30 something male) to the side of us listen to the Moulin Rouge soundtrack on full blast at all hours of the night
- Hearing our upstairs neighbors vacuum at all hours of the night (3:30 am for example).
- Lugging everything from our car to our apartment and visa versa (groceries, laundry, purchases) for what feels like about a 3 mile trek
- Our downstairs neighbor smoking on the balcony about every 15 minutes, not allowing us to open our windows and let fresh air in.
- The mold that kept growing in the shower, which the maintenance guys would just paint over instead of getting rid of.
- You get the idea
Some things we will love about the basement apartment
See For Yourself!
Both us and my parents have done a lot of work to make the basement apartment nice. We are completely re-doing the bathroom (I chipped up the tile up and my dad is putting in new tile, granite countertop, and painting - but it's not done yet.) We also stripped the wallpaper from the bedroom, patched the walls, and painted them as well as the walls in the kitchen and family room. I shampooed the carpets and just a lot of cleaning. Thanks mom and dad, we love how it turned out!
The kitchen - much bigger than our old one. You know you're married and lame when things like counter space get you excited!
We also got a Betta Fish (as seen on counter). His name is Tyrone (or Ty, or Ty Ty Baby). We OBVIOUSLY wanted a Yorkie or a Chihuahua, but I guess that will be when we have our own place!
We're happy, it feels right and we are going to be able to start saving some money since we're not paying rent. Thanks mom and dad for letting us cut your space in half!